The SHA owns and operates nearly 2,400 units of conventional public housing units in 27 developments throughout the city, ranging from high-rise apartments to single family homes. The SHA also administers the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher and Massachusetts Rental Voucher programs, which provide rental vouchers for nearly 3,000 units of housing in the private market.
How to Apply
Conventional Public Housing
Applications for Conventional Public Housing may be obtained and returned at the SHA’s Application Office located at 35A Saab Court. Alternatively, you may download the application below, but you must return the original application to the office.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program applications may be downloaded below or obtained in person at the SHA Application Office as well. However, completed Section 8 applications must be returned to the Rental Assistance Office located at 67 Sanderson Street.
Once an application is completed and filed, it will be stamped for placement on the waiting list. Applicants for the Conventional Public Housing program will receive a notice of their placement on the waiting list according to the time and date of their application, the size unit for which they qualify (Conventional Public Housing only), and any preferences and/or priorities for which they may qualify.
- Admissions & Continued Occupancy Policy
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Application
- State-Aided Public Housing Programs Standard Application: Visit the Public Housing Applications & Documentation link in the Helpful Links section to access more documents relating to the Public Housing Program.
- State-Aided Public Housing Programs Emergency Application: Visit the Public Housing Applications & Documentation link in the Helpful Links section to access more documents relating to the Public Housing Program.
- Federal Conventional Housing Application
- Supplement to Application for Federally Assisted Housing
- “A Good Place to Live” Brochure
- Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Program Information: Visit this page on our website to learn more about the Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- MASS NAHRO’s Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Centralized Waiting List: MASS NAHRO manages the centralized waiting list. There is a lot of good additional information on this page for applicants, including applications in other languages, how to file change of address, how to check status, and more.
- GoSection8.com: GoSection8.com is the largest rental-listing service for the Section 8 housing market. They service families, landlords and public-housing agencies across the United States. They provide free information about current housing options under HUD’s Section 8 Housing Voucher (Section 8) Program in every market in the country.
- Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Program Apartment Listings: Visit this link to see our full list of available Public Housing properties and photos of the complexes.
- Public Housing Information: Visit this page on our website to learn more about the Public Housing program.
- Public Housing Applications & Documentation: This link will bring you to DHCD’s page for public housing applications and all supplementary forms that may be required. Visit this page to see the latest downloads for housing applications.
- Public Housing Properties: Visit this link to see our full list of available Public Housing properties and photos of the complexes.