dribbble google rss

Resize Text

Zoom in Regular Zoom out

Public Housing

Public Housing

The SHA owns and operates 27 developments across the city, including 13 developments for elderly and disabled residents and 14 developments for families. There are also several scattered site locations for families, as well as for elderly or disabled residents.

The SHA may, from time to time, open or close waitlists if it finds that an applicant for a particular program cannot be expected to be housed in a reasonable length of time.

The SHA is currently accepting applications for the following housing programs:

State Public Housing

  • Standard Applicants
    Elderly 60 and over 1 Bedroom
    Family 3 & 4 Bedrooms
  • Emergency Applicants
    Elderly & Family – 1, 2, 3 & 4 Bedrooms

Federal Public Housing

  • Family 4 Bedroom & 5 Bedroom

Frequently Asked Questions About Public Housing

What Is Public Housing?

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to the SHA to manage the housing for low-income residents at affordable rents. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments.

Who Is Eligible?

Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. Eligibility is based on factors including income, qualification as elderly, disabled, or as a family, and U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. If you are eligible, SHA will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants

The SHA can provide you with the income levels for your area and family size, or you can also find the income limits here on the internet.

How Do I Apply?

If you are interested in applying for public housing, visit the SHA applications office at 35A Saab Court. Alternatively, you may download the application below, but you must return the original application to the office.

How Does the Application Process Work?

The application must be written. The following information will be needed:

  • Names of all persons who would be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth, and relationship to the family head.
  • Your present address and telephone number.
  • Family characteristics (such as veteran) or circumstances (such as living in substandard housing) that might qualify the family for tenant selection preferences.
  • Names and addresses of your current and previous landlords for information about your family’s suitability as a tenant.
  • An estimate of your family’s anticipated income for the next twelve months and the sources of that income.
  • The names and addresses of employers, banks, and any other information needed to verify your income and deductions, and to verify the family composition.
  • There may be a home visit to interview you and your family members to see how you manage the upkeep of you current home.
  • Admissions & Continued Occupancy Policy

Download Policy

  • State-Aided Public Housing Programs Standard Application: Visit the Public Housing Applications & Documentation link in the Helpful Links section to access more documents relating to the Public Housing Program.

Download Application

  • State-Aided Public Housing Programs Emergency Application: Visit the Public Housing Applications & Documentation link in the Helpful Links section to access more documents relating to the Public Housing Program.

Download Application

  • Federal Conventional Housing Application

Download Application

Will I Need to Produce Any Documentation?

Yes, the SHA will request documentation such as birth certificates and tax returns to verify the information given on your application. The SHA will also need verification from your employer.

Turnkey Apartments

When Will I Be Notified?

If you are determined to be eligible, your name will be put on a waiting list. You will be notified in writing when an apartment is available for you.

Will I Have to Sign a Lease?

If you are offered a house or apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the SHA. The lease is renewed annually.

How Is Rent Determined?

Rents are based on a family’s anticipated gross annual income minus deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow deductions from annual income for dependents, elderly families and people with disabilities. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and family members 18 years or older.

In general, tenants pay about 30 percent of monthly adjusted income in rent.

What Is the Role of the SHA?

The SHA is responsible for the management and operation of its local public housing program. That includes things like lease compliance, fees such as security deposits, excess utility consumption and damages to the unit, annual inspections, housing transfers, repairs and lease terminations, along with property maintenance.

How Long Can I Stay in Public Housing?

In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease and you remain eligible.

Helpful Links
  • Public Housing Applications & Documentation: This link will bring you to DHCD’s page for public housing applications and all supplementary forms that may be required. Visit this page to see the latest downloads for housing applications.

Access Applications

  • Public Housing Properties: Visit this link to see our full list of available Public Housing properties and photos of the complexes.

Learn More

Site by 816 New York