The Springfield Housing Authority’s Rental Assistance Office is located at 165 Liberty St., Springfield. It is here that applicants may complete forms to apply for Massachusetts Rental Vouchers and Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as Section 8 Vouchers.
The Housing Choice (Section 8) voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to rent decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market, Participants find and lease privately owned may free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing developments.
Housing Choice (Section 8) vouchers are administered locally by local housing authorities. The Springfield Housing Authority receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer this voucher program. A family that is issued a rental voucher is responsible for finding and selecting a suitable rental unit, which may include the family’s current residence.
- Section 8 Administrative Plan
- SHA FY2020 Fair Market Rent (FMR)
- Allowance for Tenant-Furnished Utilities 10-1-2019
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Application
- “A Good Place to Live” Brochure
Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the SHA. A rental subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the SHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.
- MASS NAHRO’s Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Centralized Waiting List: MASS NAHRO manages the centralized waiting list. There is a lot of good additional information on this page for applicants, including applications in other languages, how to file change of address, how to check status, and more.
- Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher Program Apartment Listings: Visit this link to see our full list of available Public Housing properties and photos of the complexes.